Home books Allow me to re-introduce myself

Allow me to re-introduce myself

27 comments
It’s been a long while since I’ve actually just said hello to people wandering around the interwebs and falling into the bottomless pit of literary jam & toast. So! I’m taking part in a super speedy blogfest that will let us exchange info and get to know you guys! In the spirit of things you get to know just a little more about me (although, honestly, who does not love the weird desperation of my pros and cons list in the about me page?)(me, I don’t).

I’m Mia, a YA writer. Once upon a moon, I was born. Twenty-two years of subsequent worldly experiences has led me to such genius ideas as the kindle fetchinator, the siri-library loaning system, glue pie, and the time-toaster (still in the works). When I’m not writing, I’m studying for an MRes in Psychology. When I’m not doing that I’m pretending to be the editor of a student science magazine. When all of those things are not an option, generally I’m still writing.

One of the main things you need to know about me, though, is that while I don’t necessarily only write about them all the time, I have a deep interest in zombie stories. It’s not about the gore or the violence for me, but how zombies bring about certain characteristics of people.

Allow me to re-introduce myself

One of my favourite zombie novels of all time is Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion. As with most of the brilliant books I happen upon, I took a chance on this while browsing my local horror section. I wasn’t actually looking for horror, that particular time, but the people in the bookshop and I seem to have massively differing opinions on what constitutes horror and what does not*. So! What you have to do is search out-with your parameters to locate what you want. Disagreements aside, I took this book home, opened it, and closed it some seven hours later having read through the entire thing with only the occasional pee, tea, and sandwich breaks. It was, quite simply, incredible. I’ve never read a book from the perspective of a zombie that was so full of humanity, and charm. I’ve never read a post-apocalyptic novel that so perfectly captured the hope of the beginning that inevitably follows the end.

Anyway! That was a kind of accidental book review there so! Onwards! Tell me a little about yourself! What is your favourite thing? Favourite book? Tell me more about yourself! If you’d like to sign up for the blogfest clicky here! I think there may be a little time left!

*I imagine this is a hard decision for anyone to make; you’ll never please everyone!

You may also like

Leave a thought

27 comments

DRC January 28, 2013 at 1:09 pm

I'm taking part in the re-introduce yourself blogfest today too 🙂

I didn't realise Warm Bodies was a book. They're soon the release the film and it looks quite good – but obviously this may differ when you read the novel version, as with all other books-turned-film

Elise Fallson January 28, 2013 at 1:30 pm

Hi Mia. It's nice to "re-meet" you. I wish I could say I'm as interested in zombies as much as you, but truth be told, zombies stress me out something fierce! I couldn't sit through 5 minutes of the TV series Walking Dead before having to turn it off. So, I'll have to take your word for it about the book, Warm Bodies. Maybe the zombie genre is an acquired taste? (:

B.E. Sanderson January 28, 2013 at 1:40 pm

Nice to meet you and know you better Mia. OMG, if you love zombie novels, have you tried Mira Grant's Newsflesh series? It's awesome.

Al Diaz January 28, 2013 at 2:18 pm

When do you use the glue pie? I'm curious. I don't like zombies that much but I do love to read. Anything but horror because the only monsters I like are those that work at Monsters, Inc. Nice to meet you! 🙂

Michael Di Gesu January 28, 2013 at 4:05 pm

HI, Mia,

I have dropped by your blog over the years, but it's nice to get a better feeling of who YOU are.

Great to re-meet you.

Never thought much about the ZOMBIE thing, since I am an insane Potter-head, but I like the passion and your pov on the subject.

I might just have to check out Warm Bodies…

Johanna Garth January 28, 2013 at 5:18 pm

My ten year old is headed into Zombie love. She's already begging to see Warm Bodies. Now that I know it's a book maybe I'll pick that up first.

Susan Flett Swiderski January 28, 2013 at 6:02 pm

One of my daughters-in-law is a real fan of all things zombie, but I haven't gotten into them, yet, which is kinda funny, because "The Walking Dead" is filmed right here in the state where I live. Maybe it's that whole brain-eating aspect that freaks me out…

Anyhow, nice to meetcha. My father and his family were all born in Scotland, so it used to be a dream of mine to visit some of the distant relatives who still live there. Thought I'd do it for my 21st birthday, but I'm afraid that ship has sailed many times over. Oh, well, I'll do the next best thing… and follow your blog.

VikLit January 28, 2013 at 6:59 pm

Nice to re-meet you 😉 Ah I am getting into Zombies myself, I'll note the book you mention 😉

Mark Means January 28, 2013 at 7:00 pm

I saw a trailer for Warm Bodies and, while I'm not a huge zombie fan, it did look pretty interesting. I always like a new spin on an old trope 🙂

Let me know how that time-toaster works out and nice to re-meet you 🙂

Hart Johnson January 28, 2013 at 7:14 pm

*giggles* Love your list of inventions. I'm glad you participated! I like what zombies DO to people, though I tend to use conspiracy type militias instead…

Rachel January 28, 2013 at 8:02 pm

Hi Mia, nice to meet you through this blog hop!! I'm Rachel. I can't really handle zombies but….everyone says such good things about WARM BODIES that I may have to check it out!! I also write YA and am 'young' 🙂

Old Kitty January 28, 2013 at 8:13 pm

You're the first ever glue pie I've ever met!! Yay!! Take care
x

Sherry Ellis January 28, 2013 at 8:18 pm

Zombies are cool! Nice to meet you!

Rhonda January 28, 2013 at 9:14 pm

Nice to meet you. My intro is Here

Dwight Okita January 28, 2013 at 11:55 pm

Hi Mia, thanks for visiting my blog. Good luck with your zombie adventures. Where did you get the nifty REINTRODUCE MYSELF badge by the way?

Denise Covey January 29, 2013 at 12:42 am

Hi Mia, I knew some things about you, but not that you liked zombie stuff. Have you read blogger Charmaine Clancy's My Zombie Dog? It's awesome–great for kids or adults.

Once upon a moon — I like that!

Susan Gourley/Kelley January 29, 2013 at 12:46 am

I have to look that book up. It's difficult to think of Zombies as having human qualities after growing up watching Dawn of the Dead.

Stephen Tremp January 29, 2013 at 3:29 am

My kids love Zombie stuff too. What kid doesn't? And thanks for participating in the Re-Introduce Myself Blogfest!

erica and christy January 29, 2013 at 3:31 am

Hello. I have always loved your blog. I admit, however, I do not like…zombies. BUT I will write the title of the book you mention down and if ever I find myself curious I will try it out and let you know if it sways my opinion. Christy

Laura January 29, 2013 at 6:24 pm

I've never really gotten into the whole zombie thing, it just doesn't appeal to me! Maybe one day I'll find something that converts me 🙂

michelle January 29, 2013 at 8:55 pm

Great to meet you via the Bloghop. I love that quote at the beginning of your post.

kmckendry January 30, 2013 at 12:49 am

I love the quote. I don't think I've ever read a zombie novel, but you've piqued my interest in this book. Nice to meet you.

Faith McKay January 31, 2013 at 5:34 pm

Hi 🙂 I love that your introduction turned into a book review 🙂 I love zombie stories, too, but actually haven't read Warm Bodies. I know a lot of people loved it, but I haven't read anything that really convinced me it was worth it (and I heard some reasons that kind of made me think I shouldn't read it, actually). I definitely think I'll read it now!

Isis Rushdan February 1, 2013 at 11:43 pm

Great blogfest.

I heard a lot of good things about the book Warm Bodies. Hope it translates well on the screen.

Ranjith kumar February 2, 2013 at 3:17 pm

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Hanny February 2, 2013 at 8:44 pm

Interesting that you mentioned Isaac Marion. I live in Bellingham, WA and Isaac lived here for a few years and is good friends with one of my good friends. I personally met him last year at his second book-signing for "Warm Bodies" and got him to sign a copy for me. Haven't read it yet though.

Nice guy. He's not much older than me, and "Warm Bodies" is his first publication, so it gave me encouragement to keep writing myself. I'm excited to see the movie.

Take Care!

Aurora Smith February 4, 2013 at 8:10 pm

Aurora. Hi! Nice to meet you, again.

Bless you!